Chapel Street Players
The University Drama Group (UDG) was founded in 1934 at the University of Delaware by 35 faculty members and staff with the aim of presenting live entertainment to the student body, faculty, staff, and the Newark community. In 1967, Howard Kuscher located a church for sale that could be modified to seat 175 as a theater, and Howard Turner developed a budget and fundraising plan that demonstrated the feasibility of purchasing the church building for the UDG. Despite facing several challenges, including obtaining approval from the city of Newark, and fundraising efforts, UDG purchased the property in February 1969. The Chapel Street Playhouse had its first show in November 1970, and the group adopted the operating name of “The Chapel Street Players” but remains incorporated with the state of Delaware under its original name, “University Drama Group.”
Address: 27 N Chapel St, Newark, DE 19711
Phone: (302) 368-2248
Interview with Scott Mason, President of the Chapel Street Players, about the organization’s participation in #DoMore24 campaign. He discusses the benefits of the campaign for nonprofits, including exposure to new audiences, the opportunity to tell their stories, and connect with donors and volunteers. Scott highlights the importance of community and bringing everyone together to support nonprofit organizations. The talk also includes information about the group’s new theater space, location, and history.